Thursday, December 24, 2009

Every Little Bit Counts

Today I went for a 20 minute run. In the past, I'd never go out for a run that short. If I couldn't fit in at least 30 minutes, I thought, what was the point. So I wouldn't do anything. But then one day of not running could easily lead to the next day of not running and then the next until the habit of daily exercise was no longer a habit and it was much easier to come up with more and more excuses to not run that it was to just head out the door.

So I've changed my attitude. Any run, no matter how short, is worth while. Today it was 20 minutes. Tomorrow it might be 20 minutes. The day after it might be 20 minutes. But eventually that 20 minute run will become a 30 minute run and that 30 minute run will become an hour run and the hour run will become an hour and a half run. And that will happen much more quickly than if I wait until I can fit in 30 minutes. Plus, two 20 minute runs equals 40 minutes whereas one 30 minute run equals 30 minutes. So with my new attitude, I'm running more even if I'm not running longer.

There are times when not running is the better choice - times when I'm overtired or when I'm hurt. But if I'm just busy, I've decided that I'll take my 20 minutes over 20 minutes on the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment