Monday, December 21, 2009

Quick Thoughts on Motivation

Lately, I've been talking to a lot of clients who are having trouble with motivation during the off season. I have to admit that I have problems myself. When it's dark and cold - and there's 20 inches of snow - it's hard to get motivated to get out of bed, let alone get out of bed and head to the pool. But there are some techniques that you can use to help increase your motivation and I've been working with my clients (and myself!) to make these happen.

1. Know why you are training. Without having specific goals, its hard to have motivation. Is there a race that you are doing next summer? What is your goal for the race?

2. Create a positive affirmation. Or two. These don't have to be true now but they should be things that you want to be true. So maybe you don't currently like getting out of bed to train but if you want to, you could have an affirmation that says "I like how I feel during the day when I workout first thing in the morning." Tell yourself this and in the future you may find that it is true!

More thoughts down the road but these should help you get started. I know I'll be up first thing in the morning and on the bike in the basement. I've got some Netflix to catch up on and a duathlon in April to train for!

No comments:

Post a Comment